According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), bipolar disorder, also known as manic-depressive illness, is a brain disorder causing unusual shifts in mood, energy, activity levels, and the ability to carry out daily tasks. Bipolar disorder generally lasts for an entire lifetime, and is commonly associated with substance abuse.
Although there is no cure for bipolar disorder, proper treatment from bipolar treatment centers can help people gain better control over their mood swings and other related symptoms.
Bipolar disorder can be easier to treat when caught early, especially in the event that other addiction problems arise, leading to dual diagnosis. Enrolling in bipolar treatment centers early is extremely important for dual diagnosis cases.
Bipolar Treatment Centers: What to Expect
If a person is able to recognize their mood swings and family members also make abnormal behavior observations, it’s best to start seeking out bipolar treatment centers as soon as possible. Bipolar treatment centers have experts specialized in bipolar disorder and treating and helping patients.Bipolar treatment centers may offer a variety of mental health treatment services including:
• Individual psychiatric assessments
• Brain function evaluation and treatment
• Group therapy
• Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
• Family therapy
• Medication management
• Stress management
• Life skills
• Fitness and exercise activates
• And more
Combining Substance Abuse Treatment and Bipolar Treatment
Those suffering from bipolar disorder generally have a history of extreme mood swings and frequent highs and lows. These manic and depressive symptoms can often trigger addictive behavior patterns, including alcoholism, drug addiction or other addiction problems. Bipolar treatment centers will be able to diagnose any co-occurring disorders and help get you on the right treatment track.
Top Ten Bipolar Treatment Centers
There are many mental health treatment centers that focus on a variety of mental health issues. If you’re specifically looking for bipolar treatment centers, consider these top ten bipolar treatment centers listed in a 2011 article from Newsmax.com:
1. The Mood Disorders Clinic at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts.
2. National Institutes of Mental Health in Bethesda, Maryland.
3. The Stanley Clinical Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio.
4. The Bipolar Disorder Research Program at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, Texas.
5. The Stanley Foundation Bipolar Network in Bethesda, Maryland.
6. Hollywood Pavilion Treatment Center in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
7. The Bipolar Disorders Clinic at the Stanford University School of Medicine in Stanford, California.
8. The Stanley Center for the Innovative Treatment for Bipolar Disorders in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
9. Bridges to Recovery in Los Angeles, California.
10. The Austen Riggs Center in Stockbridge, Massachusetts.
Bipolar treatment centers such as these typically perform initial assessments on patients and examine their mood swings, cognitive behavior, and skill deficits.